Suva, Fiji


Our visit to Suva proved to be a big surprise. I had been there over 30 years ago and did not enjoy it at all. Subsequently, I have read a lot of negative reports about the city. But, I really enjoyed this one day visit – and I now believe that a lot of the negativity is overdone and unfair, perhaps coming from people who have not travelled much and for whom a first-time visit to Suva has been a shock experience . I have also been assured by some passengers onboard who have visited Suva several times, that it has improved very much over recent years. One said he could not believe the improvements in cleanliness. It is, of course, still very different to our experience of cities in Australia – but I have seen much worse places in parts of Asia and elsewhere. Any defects that it has are, for me, more than made up for by the friendliness of the locals. I almost got tired of having to reply “BULA” (the Fijian way of saying welcome, hello) to every second person I passed in the street.
My enjoyment of the port stop started from the moment we arrived. Arguably, Suva gave us the biggest, loudest and longest welcome that we have received at any of the ports. This was due to the Fijian Police Brass Band which were waiting for us on our arrival – and were still there on our departure. I particularly liked their unusual style – using their instruments as simulated spears (in addition to playing them, of course). After completion of their military style playing and marching maneuvres, they then set up a more relaxed “rock’n’roll” band and entertained passengers during the day, including departure. Their music was very good  and attracted a fair number of local Fijian onlookers.
SAM_2762 SAM_2763 SAM_2768
We took one of the ship’s half-day shore tours (Pacific Harbour Cultural extravaganza) – in spite of the hyperbole in the name, it proved to be a very enjoyable tour. The bus ride to and from the site allowed us to see how local Fijians live- and the cultural show was one of the best I have seen anywhere – indeed, probably the best. It was not only a cultural exhibition (firewalking and dancing) – but included a lot of humour and entertainment.
SAM_2775
Pacific Harbour
SAM_1195  SAM_2782
The Fijian fort
SAM_2796
 Preparing the fire for firewalking
SAM_2789
the Head Priest
SAM_2812
Walking on the hot stones
SAM_2825
The women
SAM_2839
I am not going to argue with this warrior
SAM_2844
the finale of the show

No comments:

Post a Comment