VAVA’U, Tonga

Vava’u (pronounced Vavow) – what a GEM in the Crown of Tonga!!

I had not really heard of this place before we booked this cruise. I have to admit that I did not know much about Tonga at all – but that is what travel is for!. And even when I did some pre-cruise research, I did not read much about it that I could identify with. It is apparently the largest natural harbour in the South Pacific – and, during the winter months, home to many hundreds of visiting “yachties”. As an ex-sailor, that alone created some interest in the place for me. I also read that it is very popular for diving and fishing.

At most Ports we have arrived at on a cruise-ship, we have raced all over the place looking at “things” – we have almost never just relaxed and done “nothing”. As part of my research, I found a photo of the local Yacht Club – which looked very attractive, located right on the waterfront of the main town of Neiafu. I decided that this would be one place where we would simply enjoy a good few beers and lunch – and leave sightseeing to others. We looked all over the waterfront for this cruise club – it is not that big an area, and we could not find the club (although there was an ominous looking jetty, covered with the remains of a fire) . Yes – it was no longer with us. So, with some new friends made on the ship, we spent the better part of the day in Mango’s Bar and Restaurant – a new establishment, also right on the waterfront. An excellent choice – perfectly located with a view of the “Port of Refuge”, good inexpensive food and drinks. If we ever return, we will head back to it!!.

There is a blossoming tourism industry here – and I suspect that a week or so would be rewarding. I asked the Tourist Centre how we would get here from Australia – and unfortunately there are no direct flights – all flights coming into Tonga seem to come to Nuku’alofa. From there you can get to Vava’u by small airplane or weekly Ferry.

SAM_2323 Early morning arrival into the Port of Refuge SAM_2326        Pacific Pearl – quietly at anchor SAM_2338    Just one of the interesting visiting boats
SAM_2329

    BUT – it is the Tropics – and it rains at some time every day!

SAM_2332

a beautiful outlook, to enjoy some food and drinks

SAM_2331

Breadfruit chippies! – nice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment